We are not currently accepting applications for scholarships. Usually, the application window begins in March and ends with an application deadline in early May.
For 2020, Vecinos will proudly award $6,000 in scholarships ranging in amounts from $500 to $5,000 depending on number of deserving applicants and financial need. Students attending community college are encouraged to apply for a maximum award of $500.
Awards will be presented at Senior Awards Night, May 29th, 7 p.m. in the SPHS auditorium, if COVID19 restrictions are lifted, otherwise alternative arrangements will be made.
In addition to the application, an optional letter of recommendation is welcomed, but not necessary (only one letter will be will be accepted).
- Be a graduating high school senior for 2020
- Attend South Pasadena High School, (SPHS), or be a South Pasadena resident
- Be accepted as a full-time undergraduate college student in fall 2020. This includes students attending any accredited postsecondary institution.
- Authorize Vecinos to pull your official high school transcripts.
- If chosen for award, you submit a photograph or consent to be photographed by Vecinos for publicity purposes.
- Optional: submit one letter of recommendation addressing your resilience, achievements or other positive character attributes.
- Submit an application, including an essay portion requiring a 1,000 word (max), response to one, or more of following prompts:
- What insights have you gained through your experiences in the Latino community that help define your identity and your aspirations?
- Describe your contributions or engagement with the Latino community.
- How do you imagine engaging with the Latino community as you enter adulthood and beyond?
The application and letter of recommendation (if submitting) are due via email by Friday, May 8th 11:59 p.m.
Once you’re ready complete the application found HERE during the application period.